Sunday, June 19, 2011

Treasure Creed

Over the last several years, I've been playing with the idea of trying to state my "creed" for life is a fairly simple way. This is where I am now with that effort:

If you have a job,
Do it.
If you need to know something,
Learn it.
Your family is special,
Honor it.
Your country is special,
Defend it.
You are special,
Take care of yourself.
Keep a smile on your face.

This stuff seems so self evident, that, to me, it warrents no discussion. But I'm sure others would say something entirely different. For example, the whole question of God and religion is absent - and to many people, that is the first thing they would mention. It's interesting that the first thing I mention is work ("a job"). Of course, that's also reflected in my favorite Bible verse - Ecclesiastes 3:13 "That each of them may eat and drink, and find satisfaction in all their toil—this is the gift of God." A satisfactory life implies satisfaction in some action - and a (near) universal action is work - something you have to do whether you want to or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment